Thursday, May 22, 2008

The voice of reason

South Park has been fun since it first aired. I remember some of my geekier friends in the mid nineties show me the Christmas episode when it started circulating (Back then the internet was primarily a play-zone for smarter people who wore black and who had a mutual dislike with their peers) on the web. I wasn't very into it after the first few episodes in the late nineties. I thought it was cool and funny, but after the first season I was kinda bored of it.

Then they blew my little mind with the movie. It felt like someone had hacked into my brain and animated it on a screen. It still reigns as my favourite musical of all time. Then I kept saying I like the movie, but I'm not really into the show. This ignorance kept up until 2006ish. I caught a couple episodes. I forget which one snagged me, but I was soon enthralled. Avid in my watching. Now I respect it as it has matured into one of the sole voices of reason in pop culture. They're continuing commitment to not taking sides has rendered them able to see situations without a 'left' or 'right' clout. They tend to find the middle line in any issue. Be it abortion, terrorism, celebrity, apathy, drugs, greed, family, alcoholism...anything. They even made me look at my own values views in The Twin Towers Deusche episode.

Anyway. I just wanted to share my appreciation of, what I believe to be, some of the finest art on TV...

No comments: